On Wednesday Magglio told a Venezuelan radio show that he still wants to play in 2012, but won’t accept anything less then a Major League deal. Adding that the A’s among others have shown interest but, nothing in “concrete”. Magglio also said that “the market is tough for him, but he’s working to continue his career”.
Magglio’s agent Scott Boras said that “he’s headed in the right direction physically” after his devastating ankle injury last fall. Boras also said that Magglio is “going to start baseball stuff real soon, so his ankle is fine”.
Ordoñez played in only 92 games in 2011 with the Tigers, hitting just .255 with 5 HRs and 32 RBIs.
Ever since July 24, 2010 when Magglio fractured his ankle sliding into home plate, he has never been the same. Last year it seemed like Magglio had adjusted his swing to take pressure off his ankle when swinging. It showed because of his .255 batting average and only playing in 92 games, playing only 69 of those 92 games in RF, the rest he DH’d.
There are plenty of teams out there who could use the help of Magglio’s bat, if he can stay healthy. The Tigers are one of those teams but, it’s unlikely in my opinion.
Just like injury lagged players Joel Zumaya (signed with the Twins) and Carlos Guillen (signed with the Mariners), the Tigers decided to move on and not offer them contacts. Which is what I think they’ll do with Magglio. Magglio had a great 7 years in Detroit, with 2006 being the most memorable. (Game 4 ALCS) but, I think it’s time the Tigers and Magglio go there separate ways.
Magglio is an established Major League hitter who, when healthy, can be a difference maker. If he is indeed healthy, like he and Scott Boras say he is, Magglio shouldn’t have a problem finding a team that will offer him a Major League deal in 2012.